Fair Day at the Bay N. Venturelli

Fair Day by the Bay
by insructor: Nora Venturelli

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Melinda Chruscial

Day 1 - So many shades of Green!

I thought I knew what color the grass and trees were. What about those fields? For miles and miles I see Green and there are a hundred different greens to see...

The first day I am definitely a city girl in the country. Out in the rolling vineyards and farms with the bees, and the breeze. I started with a monochromatic study in acrylic just to get a grasp of this "Painting" stuff. The Next day in the fields of the vineyard, I attempted to put what I viewed down in color. The next day I painted a watercolor of the same scene.






11"x 14" watercolor


Day 2 - Water and watercolors might mix!

Old Mission Lighthouse and a lake view under turbulent skies. A little rain and lots of sand.
My work and nature had a mind of their own.

5"x 7" watercolor

11"x14" watercolor

Since I was rained out at the Point, I found a more sheltered area to do a charcoal sketch of the gloomy day. There really are great skies and clouds when the weather is so tumultuous.


11"x14" charcoal


The next field study was at the Chateau Chantal winery on Old Mission peninsula.
My camera was not taking pictures as clearly as my view really was. This is a closer view of the lake and horizon. The sky was changing faster than I could paint it.


16"x 24 acrylic

The last day working "en plein air" I chose to go to Cinch Beach in Traverse City instead of another day in the vineyards. The water was so mesmerizing to me, yet it's a challenge to translate on canvas. I had to try and resolve some horizon issues later on this painting. it was the most enjoyable experience in the field. I experimented with many techniques our instructor demonstrated. People were stopping to watch me paint. It was funny to listen to their responses when I was surely a novice at this. I did not tell anyone that though. I just encouraged folks to try out something artistic as well.


16"x 24" acrylic (the photo came out a little blurry)

The most memorable part of this week was the fantastic instruction given by Nora and working with classmates!

Shannon was a great support for me.

Nora demonstrating & painting with the class!

The sunset at Chateau Chantal wasn't bad either! Thank you for a rewarding week!

No comments:

Post a Comment