Fair Day at the Bay N. Venturelli

Fair Day by the Bay
by insructor: Nora Venturelli

Monday, August 1, 2011

Shannon Hulswit

Day 1 - Saturday, July 31
The Journey Begins

I spent my first day after class taking in all of the lush green fields, incredible blue waters, and billowing fields of hay on Old Mission Peninsula. I think of all of the incredible sights I took in I was most struck by how beautiful and expansive the

sky was!!!! Coming from Detroit I am so
used to being enveloped by houses and buildings that overpower the landscape and detract from the massiveness of the sky. I could have laid on my back and just stared at the sky for hours watching the movement of clouds and the ever changing kaleidoscope of colors. Truly an inspiring sight that will work to define my first days painting in the field.




Day 2 - Sunday, August 1
Why Did the Pig Cross the Road?

To get to Nora's painting class! Our first day most assuredly exceeded any expectations I had for spontaneous conditions that one might want to capture in the field! Nothing like a day of painting filled with fun, fields, and frolicking farm animals to get you into the mood.



Our first day out in the field on Carroll Road was a bit of a trying experience to say the least. A new palette, new paints and new colors proved to be a bigger challenge than I expected. My first day was a bit of a wash and a good learning experience. If at first you don't succeed...try, try, try again...and then go to Lowe's and get a piece of plexiglas to mix on.



Carroll Road Study #2

Acrylic on masonite
8" x 10"





Carroll Road Study #1
Acrylic on canvas panel
10" x 20"



Day 3 - Monday, August 2
Carroll Road part #2


My second day out on Carroll Road proved to be much more successful. I learned a few very important lessons on Carroll Road. They were:

1. Roosters don't really care what time it is, they will crow all damn day!

2. How swiftly the light changes
2. Underpaintings and glaze are a girls best friend
4. The paintings that start out the hardest might be the ones you love the most
















Carroll Road

Acrylic on canvas panel
10" x 20"





Day 4 - Tuesday, August 3
Old Mission Point Beach


One of the major goals that I had for myself during this class was to loosen up a little, OK a lot. I knew going into this class that plein air painting wasn't conducive to my usual tight style of painting. This day with all of its crazy weather and rain provided me with the perfect opportunity to explore a looser painting style.


If there is one thing all Michiganders know it's "if you don't like the weather wait five minutes" because its bound to change. Today we went from sunny and 90 to rainy and crazy. I was up and at the site early because I wanted to get a feel for what I may want to capture on canvas. The weather was very ominous looking and I opted to start with a few studies on small panels.

Old Mission Point Beach Study #1
Acrylic on canvas panel
8" x 10"





Old Mission Point Beach Study #2

Acrylic on canvas panel

8" x 10"


I did two quick warm- up studies while on the beach with a focus on trying to capture the changing moods of the weather and only the most important elements of the landscape in front of me. Simplification was my priority, not replication. I felt good about my initial efforts. I felt for a first attempt I was successful, and I felt it helped me to loosen up and warm up for what would become my final painting on this site.



Old Mission Point Beach
Acrylic on canvas panel
10" x 20"








Day 5 - Wednesday, August 4
Chateau Chantal








Chateau Chantal

Acrylic on canvas panel
10" x 20"



What a difference a day makes! We've done hot, hotter, wet, windy and now COLD!
This day started out very slow for me, I was getting a little tired and sore from being out in the elements and being on my feet all day. But, I was determined to create...and finish... a painting today. The weather helped set the mood for the piece. It was a very overcast and windy day. What I appreciated about the lack of sun was the clarity in the colors throughout the landscape. While you are in the field painting is a constant race with the changing light. An overcast day that allows for longer contemplation and less fluctuation can be very much appreciated.

This was the day that I decided to create a piece that incorporated all of the elements of the peninsula for me - water, fields, vineyards and SKY!



Day 5 - Thursday, August 4
Carroll Road & Old Mission Point Beach

I started the day out on Carroll Road to finish up the painting I started on Days 2-3. One of the most important things I learned, or rather etched into my
consciousness, was how much different it is to work on site as opposed to from a photograph. Although I had taken several photographs on Carroll Road and had them blown up into 8x10 photos, I felt slighted by working from them. The inspiration of being on site in conjunction with the ability to truly see what is in front of you made for a significantly superior piece in my mind.

Carroll Road Close Up
Acrylic on canvas panel

After completing the Carrol Road piece I decided to head out to Old Mission Point Beach to place the rocks into the water of the last piece I started there. Again, I found that trying to work from a photograph offered me little inspiration and that
being on site would allow for better composition. However, while I was setting up my supplies I was so inspired by the clouds I decided to create one final piece. I wanted this piece to focus on the beautiful cloud formations in the sky and the striking colors in the water. I began this piece very differently than my other pieces based on watching Nora paint at Chateau Chantal the previous day. Today I mixed and applied my colors with a palette knife as opposed to a brush. I found working in this manner to be helpful in some instances as it allowed me to mix and apply larger amounts of paint in a shorter period of time. I also began to experiment a little more with applying my clouds with a palette knife to create harder edges and taking a fan brush into other areas to create a softer more ethereal effect. I also played around a bit with some quick washes in the field to create slight color variations in the clouds.

Old Mission Point Clouds

Acrylic on canvas panel
10" x 20"


EN Final:
I don't think that if you would have told me how much I would have learned over the course of this week, or how much this experience would influence me as a painter I would have believed you. The knowledge and clarity I gained from Nora and my fellow colleagues was priceless. I cannot begin to thank Nora for the incredible instruction she provided. The combination of lectures, demonstrations, personal attention, and critiques made this a very enriching experience for me as an artist. I also think this experience would not have been nearly as fulfilling if it had not been for the other artists I spent my week with. In many ways I learned a tremendous amount about myself through watching their successes and failures, as well as my own. Thanks to all for the truly incredible journey!

Peace and Blessings,
Shannon
shannonink@yahoo.com




The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.

-Hans Hofman

No comments:

Post a Comment