Fair Day at the Bay N. Venturelli

Fair Day by the Bay
by insructor: Nora Venturelli

Thursday, August 4, 2011

John Mozdzierz

Even though I am an Art Teacher, It sure has been a while since I put pencil to paper, paint to canvas. For the past 20 years since I received my design degree, I have been immersed in the world of digital art. So it would be safe to say, "I'm a little rusty".

So I did a few visual knee bends and stretches to get started. It felt GOOD!

As I progress, I will show you the actual locations along with the steps to the finished pieces.

For those of you who forgot already, I am a digital artist. As you view my works, you will notice studies in pencil with watercolor tints and washes as well as oil paintings. All these pieces have been pencil drawn, but scanned in and painted on the computer using a Wacom pressure sensitive tablet and ArtRage software.

These are my first attempts as I learn how to use the software as well as open up my past painting experiences. Painting should be like painting no matter what situation your in.

Hopefully, these examples will allow others to appreciate the possibilities of actually painting with traditional knowledge but in a new environment. All the traditional nuances, but with a new twist.

Let me know what you think. Do they look and feel like real paintings? These are not done in Photoshop and I made a point of not doing anything like Photoshop. ArtRage is a painting tool. I kept my mental state and techniques just as if I were really painting with those messy oils and uncooperative wet watercolor papers.

I've also included links in the paragraphs above to take you to ArtRage and Wacom so you too can check it out.


Day 1 - 9" x 12" Pencil on paper - Carroll Rd.



Nora introduced me to the works of Wayne Thiebaud which gave me a different direction and perspective to try. She's a smart lady.

9" x 12" Oil on canvas - Carroll Rd. - Thiebaud



Day 2 - 9" x 12" Watercolor over pencil - Carroll Rd. Gray Hare Inn.



Day 3 - 9" x 12" Watercolor over pencil - Mission Pt. Lighthouse.
Rainey, Gray day.



Days 4 & 5 - 9" x 12" Oil on canvas - Chateau Chantal
Study No. 1. - Overcast and windy.


Study No. 2. - Early morning with fog.




Study No. 3 - 9" x 12" Wayne Thiebaud Style.


No comments:

Post a Comment